Sunday, August 9, 2009
Thursday, July 9, 2009
I'm going to get a polymer plate made of "inside" and put it through letterpress for class
the impression from letterpress will be a nice extra
think I'll put it through the press twice so I can keep this size for book (I'm making a 8.5 x 11 plate) Experimented with folding a letter size sheet and book too too small.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Thursday, June 25, 2009
While working on my show brochure, I noticed that the Veils pieces, if you squint your eyes and see them really, really small, are landscapes! The SAME kind of compositions that I use in my realistic work. I guess it's innate. And I never, never noticed this until yesterday.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
I totally forgot that I was thinking of doing some pieces with acrylic transfer of laser prints. And I'm not sure what caused me to remember it yesterday or the day before... Anyhow, one perk is: don't have to rely on a service bureau for printout so can delay completion until the last minute. Another is: I can build it up in a way similar to the old collage piece "Screen". Since this last piece is a "friend" to that one, how appropriate. Yet one more perk: process will be "hands on" vs digital.
I've never done this method, so I googled "acrylic medium image transfer". These 2 links are my favorites:
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
This newest one cries out to be a banner shape -- I'm going to keep the 19" width and have this sort of thing repeat for 72" Then it'll be friends with "Screen" (which was my intention for this one)
I won't be framing this so I only have to worry about getting it to a service bureau in time for the printing
Below is one of the old prints that I scanned to create the above digital. Trimmings and reject prints from its series were used to create Screen
Saturday, June 6, 2009
or maybe I'll go into the print with handwork
It's a combo of scanned dip pen marks (both used on previous 2 prints)
I like the way it looks like handwriting but doesn't say anything
(And, perhaps this is sad, I see these marks could work well on a panty print... gotta come up with new designs for Costco US and, well... here they are... hmmm, maybe I could count an hour or so as "offsite" time and get paid haha).
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
I was happily feeding this through the printer, one layer at a time, letting chance create the layered composition and then I decided it needed some new different marks...
I drew some with litho crayon, scanned, made a repeat and put it through the printer again
I forgot to specify the printer when adjusting the paper size and it printed the wrong way (plus I don't like the scale of the marks -- too big) doh!
I liked this print a lot until the last pass, and decided to replicate the process
THIS TIME I used layers in photoshop to fine tune the blending:
still not quite finished, but getting close
Sunday, May 31, 2009
it seems to "beg" for some red marks that also have the "inky" look
after attempting some digital solutions that for various technical issues wouldn't fly (wrong OS for tablet on this machine, can't find Painter software CD to install on laptop with correct OS, etc etc), I went ANALOG.
found my tin of Grandfather's dip pens, found the jar of ink, made some marks and now I've gotta wait for the ink to dry so I can scan... to be continued...
I scanned more old prints @ Otis yesterday (they have 11 x 17 scanners and I had to be there to teach). I encountered the old problem of too much data, not enough storage... forgot to take my iPod that has 8G of empty space - doh! So had to save some of the scans on the CPU there... hopefully, they'll be there next week...
(too lazy to drive over there and rescue them any sooner).
The scanning process -- sitting, waiting for the preview and the digitizing -- helped me focus on which old pieces I want to revisit and reuse. Because of the press release I wrote, I'm looking more at the ones that are about weaving. I think the above qualifies and I'm attracted to the marks and ink blotty bits. So this is today's image that I'll fool around with. Results will post in a while...
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Below on the left is a small sampling of what I found today.
Now I need some place where I can lay it all out and really see what I have... without the cats walking all over it.
From my brief rifle through the portfolio, many items which I don't remember -- very exciting:
scanned some new marks, now layer, layer, layer
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Anyhow, I was revisiting my old work from the 70s -- abstract patterny prints + collages:
I've found only about 5 of the old smaller pieces (which I'm hoping to find the rest to help, um, fill the wall space) that I'd pulled a couple of years ago... Where are the rest?? Somewhere in my art storage area, blocked by boxes of framed art that I can't move. ARGH!
So rather than dwell on the above issue, I scanned what I have and started experimenting digitally. I took this old lithograph:
and then started doing multi printing passes through the printer. This is similar to the technique that I used to use with the silkscreen as shown below:
My limitation with the inkjet is that I don't have the opacity of color that I had before. So I need to plan it out a bit.
Here's 2 bits of what I did yesterday:
Well, it's a start...
Very much fun, I will say that. They need way, way, WAY more layering
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
All they will reveal is that it was done in photoshop
I first put this up on Facebook, but realize that the discussion needs to widen. I've compiled the initial comments and ideas in the first comment below.