Sunday, May 13, 2018

Creative Block [Printing]

Ha. No creative blocks here! I have an abundance if ideas and my problem is more trying to concentrate on one thing. 

Yesterday, I spent the day at Carrie Burkle's DTLA Arts District studio space playing around with block printing. I went with the intention to have some creative play time and to print up some yardage to use in my weaving project (which for some confusing reason I posted on my fashion blog).
The space, we paired up at six tables.
My work station. All clean. Not for long.
What was in the pink bags?
Bandanas printed by Carrie! Plus a blank to print.
Carrie gave us a brief intro about the concept of block printing, and things to think about as we designed our blocks.
Carving demo.
We used insulation foam, one end covered with flocked cotton, affixed with water proof Gorilla glue.
My blocks, including a never-used-by-me wooden Indian block purchased in Artesia.
We made our own reusable stamp pads.
Wooden block, dampened cellulose cloth cut to size, wrapped with cheese cloth that was T-pinned to back.
All elements reusable -- dismantle and rinse off.
Carrie demonstrates how to ink up the pad using my work station. [Still fairly clean].
First print experiment! 
The large yardage, in work. [Note workspace mess is building up on the right].
Deploying the Indian block on some striped cotton lawn.
It was a hive of creative activity!
Drying area. Many saved their brown paper that protected the printing station to repurpose.
In foreground, communal offering of ink and stamp pad. Lots of sharing!
[apologies for lack of focus in photo]
Our prints!
More prints, my yardage in foreground.
I'll do another post with more detailed pictures of my efforts.
There are enough photos in this post already!
This was another Textile Arts Los Angeles event.
Check them out if you love textiles and live in the greater LA area!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm monitoring the comments so that I'll be notified.
Otherwise, I'll miss your comment!
If you post as Anonymous, I will not share your comment.