Before this year's A-Z, I started doing paper weavings from reject printouts of my pattern designs at the day job. (I am a surface designer for a mass-market underwear and loungewear company).
I mentioned the process in the post about the Fluevog Faith
First weaving, January 23:
How did I solve my "hold it together" dilemma? Sticking a 4x3" mailing label on the back!
I diligently did this every morning through the first week of April,
until I started getting to work too late to be stealth about it.
This is the last batch, April 2-5:
|[click on images to embiggen]|
Parameters developed over the course of the project (as they tend to do for me):
- Mix a women's panty print with a men's lounge pant print
- Try to make the mixture as uncoordinated as possible
Here's a Camo / Blue Ditsy set from March 6-21:
I've got a lot reject camo printouts on large 11x17 printouts -- I was not having success color matching to a printed garment.
In fact, I gave up, since it became unnecessary.
I've since had to do two other colorways of the camo with even more reject printouts.
I could do a whole camo weave series at this point!
Conclusion: camo is hard to color match, especially to Pantone standard chips.
I've submitted this series to be part of the Otis 100 Projects
. We'll see if anything happens.
I'm also committed to get back to weaving detritus. It's relaxing!